Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. It is a full-contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling techniques, both standing and on the ground, from a variety of other combat sports and martial arts. The beauty and complexity of MMA is that to become a well-rounded Mixed Martial Artist, you must utilize all martial arts effectively and efficiently together.
Mixed Martial Arts combines all the styles of martial arts training into one package: learning how to fight and defend yourself. There are MANY benefits to training in martial arts and especially MMA:
– Training in martial arts (Especially MMA) will build confidence in you. When you know how to defend yourself in a real-life situation, your mind is a little calmer, a little freer, and a little more relaxed. When you know how to throw a punch, break an arm, or choke someone unconscious there isn’t too much threat of physical confrontation. But, if there is threat, it is easier to walk away.
– Mixed Martial Arts will teach you discipline. As with any marital art, MMA requires discipline. It teaches discipline of the mind and body. Something we preach here at Resurgence MMA is the discipline of eating right, sleeping right, and training right.
– Training MMA is an excellent physical workout. Sparring (Boxing practice during training) or grappling (wrestling or ground-fighting practice) for 3-5 minute rounds is absolutely brutal cardio, which is why fighters are usually in top notch physical condition. There is no treadmill or stair-master in the world that can beat the benefits of training like a professional fighter.
– Training MMA will teach you self-defense. As much as we wish we didn’t have to learn some sort of self-defense to protect ourselves and our family from the evils of the world that are growing every day, we do. We must. MMA not only teaches you real and proven moves taken from all different types of martial arts for self-defense, but the training of MMA is learning how to apply those moves and use them successfully under high-stress and high-pace scenarios/situations, where it really counts.
– Training is a huge stress reliever. After an hours session of training, when you are completely drenched in sweat, tired and sore, there is hardly any room left for stress. People often say they are much less angry or aggressive after hard training with MMA, Kickboxing, or BJJ/Grappling.
– You will build camaraderie. Training at an MMA gym whether it be mainly in MMA, Kickboxing, BJJ/Grappling or all of the above, there is nothing like the camaraderie between you and others who are all working towards the same goal and going through hell to do it. It is not for the faint of heart, but there is so much reward from pushing yourself like a professional fighter does in your training.
We are proud to be an official affiliate of Roufusport MMA Academy, where our curriculum for MMA comes directly from Master Duke Roufus.